What? You’re tired of me pontificating on gender theory and obscure men’s movements? Fine. Here’s your ultra-practical, no-fail list of men’s gifts for Christmas 2012.
1. Manpacks. Manpacks delivers fresh socks, shirts and shaving supplies to that special guy on a monthly basis. No more last minute desperation runs to Target. Starting at $14 for 3 months. http://manpacks.com/
2. Robert Rothschild Farm Blackberry Chipotle Sauce. Slather this on pork tenderloin for something unbelievable. Pour it over cream cheese and serve with Triscuits. Berries have never been so masculine. $9. http://www.amazon.com/Robert-Rothschild-Farm-Blackberry-Chipotle/dp/B0045DOA7C/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322170094&sr=8-1-fkmr2
3. Beretta PB Copper Knife. If a man needs to pull out a knife for some high-skill application (like slicing off ribbon), he should have something to show off to everyone at the same time. This replica of the 1940’s Beretta knife has nice talking points, including a shell extractor. $40. http://www.berettausa.com/products/pb-copper-knife/
4. South Dakota Magazine. Forget another subscription to People. Go for something unique, like a magazine from a state he’s talked about visiting but never has. South Dakota Magazine is a well-run monthly publication with articles on great tourist spots, historical legends and local culture. $19/year. http://southdakotamagazine.com/
5. Antique Maps. Find an original antique map on eBay, then mount it. Replicas can be found all over the internet, such as this one of Geneva: http://www.oldmapgallery.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=60&products_id=3068.